Planes. A mode of transport that has forever changed our lives.
✈️ But how did an object so heavy be able to fly in the sky with ease?
✈️ More importantly, who engineered such great technology to make them fly?
𝑰𝒏𝒔𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒇𝒍𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕
It all started when Wilbur and Orville Wright’s dad brought home a small toy helicopter that was powered by rubber bands.This sparked their interest in flying.
⚙️ The brothers formed a company called Wright Cycle Company, which sold bicycles, and later on started to manufacture bicycles.
⚙️ The skill of making bicycles was a foundation for the plane.
⚙️ So they started working on a model of a flying glider, something that could stay gliding in the air. The concept of flying was still unknown.
⚙️ Using the spare parts from the bicycles, the brothers built their own prototype of a glider.
𝑫𝒆𝒄𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓 𝟏𝟕, 𝟏𝟗𝟎𝟑
– The Wright Brothers made history by inventing the first successful airplane. Their glider managed to fly in the air for 12 full seconds.
– This was the first man-made machine heavier than air to ever leave the ground at a fast and constant speed.
– Although they had 4 successful flights, their plane still had some flaws.
– In 1912, the brothers were testing a new plane when the plane crashed. Wilbur Wright unfortunately didn’t survive the collision. His brother Orville escaped death with a couple of bruises and broken bones.
𝑯𝒐𝒘 𝒅𝒊𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒏𝒆 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒌?
The plane Wilbur and Orville Wright designed had a wing mass of over 500 square feet in order to glide better.
The pilots had to be strapped on, in a flat, lying down position, with the steering right in front of them.
The propellers (fan engines) helped create the lift.
𝑺𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒇𝒖𝒏 𝒇𝒂𝒄𝒕𝒔 𝒂𝒃𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑾𝒓𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒃𝒓𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒔:
– Despite both of them being geniuses, they both didn’t finish high school and get their diploma!
– The Wright brothers plane, or the flyer as it was called, never got to fly again as strong winds flipped it over and damaged it beyond repair.
– Niel Amstrong took some parts of the flyer in his space suit and took it to the moon – so one can say that the Wright brothers plane visited space!